Montag, 4. März 2013

CET OBSCUR OBJET DU DÉSIR - Luis Buñuel


Dienstag 5.3.2013
20.30 Uhr
vorgestellt von Sebastian Markt




F, ESP 1977 | 103 min | Regie: Luis Buñuel | Buch: Luis Buñuel, Jean-Claude Carrière, nach dem Roman "La femme et le pantin" von Pierre Louÿs | Kamera: Edmond Richard | Schnitt: Hélène Plemiannikov | Darsteller/innen: Fernando Rey, Carole Bouquet, Ángela Molina, Julien Bertheau u.a. | Produktion: Serge Silbermann

"When I made The Phantom of Liberty, I was seventy-four years old and seriously entertaining the idea of a definitive retirement. My friends, however, had other ideas, so I finally decided to tackle an old project, the adaptation of Pierre Louÿs’ [1870-1925] La femme et le pantin [1898: 'The Woman and the Puppet'], which in 1977 became That Obscure of Object of Desire, starring Fernando Rey [1917-95]. I used two different actresses, Angela Molina [1955-] and Carole Bouquet [1957-] — a device many spectators never even noticed…
Essentially faithful to the book, I nonetheless added certain elements that radically changed the tone, and although I can’t explain why, I found the final scene very moving–the woman’s hand carefully mending a tear in a bloody lace mantilla. All I can say is that the mystery remains intact right up until the final explosion. In addition to the theme of the impossibility of ever truly possessing a woman’s body, the film insists upon maintaining that climate of insecurity and imminent disaster–an atmosphere we all recognize, because it is our own. Ironically, a bomb exploded on October 16, 1977, in the Ridge Theatre in San Francisco, where the movie was being shown; and during the confusion that followed, four reels were stolen and the walls covered with graffiti like “This time you’ve gone too far!”"

Luis Buñuel: My Last Breath
via

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen