Dienstag 13.03.2012
20.30 Uhr
vorgestellt von Thomas Moritz Helm

* WEGEN ÜBERLÄNGE FANGEN WIR PÜNKTLICH AN *
SHERMAN'S MARCH | USA 1986 | 157min | englische Originalversion | Regie, Kamera, Ton, Schnitt: Ross McElwee | Mit: Ross McElwee, Dede McElwee, Ann McElwee, Mary, Pat, Winnie, Charleen, Lee, Claudia, Ashley und Burt Reynolds
Ross McElwee bewegt sich auf den Spuren von General William Tecumseh Sherman, der während des Sezessionskrieges einen historischen Feldzug (Sherman's March to the Sea) anführte, durch Georgia und die Carolinas. Wie man in der ersten Szene des Films erfährt, ist der Filmemacher vor kurzem von seiner Freundin verlassen worden. Seine Schwester rät ihm daraufhin, seine Kamera als Hilfsmittel zu nutzen um Frauen kennen zu lernen. Also bereist McElwee auf der Suche nach einem "nice southern girl" den Süden der USA und trifft allerhand interessante Menschen: Die angehende Schauspielerin Pat, eine Linguistin namens Winnie, seine alte Freundin Charleen und viele andere.
"A Meditation on the Possibility Of Romantic Love in the South During An Era of Nuclear Weapons Profileration"
"I had no firm idea as to how to begin shooting Sherman's March. That is, I only knew that I wanted to make some sort of film about my homeland, the South, and I was interested in the degree to which the South was still haunted by the Civil War - Sherman's campaign in particular - but I never intended for it to be an historical documentary ... I thought I would probably narrate it with first-person voice-over, as I had done in Backyard, but I wasn't enthusiastic about stepping in front of the camera to perform monologues. I was more comfortable behind the camera. But as I finished my first month of shooting in North Carolina and realized that this film was going to be more directly autobiographical than I had anticipated, I began filming monologues. I thought it would be best at least to get them on film. I could decide whether to use them later"
"I'd never presume to make a pronouncement concerning what I think relationships between men and women are all about. I think it's abundantly clear, from Sherman's March, that I myself, haven't a clue--at least at that point in my life. I guess the one lesson I might have garnered from the experience of making Sherman's March was that true love, whatever that is, was unlikely to present itself as long as I was determined to track it down with a camera, and the audience knows this."
(Ross McElwee)
Trailer: http://rossmcelwee.com/shermansmarch.html
Interview: http://www.cargo-film.de/thema-reihe/us-indie/southern-stories-ross-mcelwee-im-gesprach/
"A Meditation on the Possibility Of Romantic Love in the South During An Era of Nuclear Weapons Profileration"
"I had no firm idea as to how to begin shooting Sherman's March. That is, I only knew that I wanted to make some sort of film about my homeland, the South, and I was interested in the degree to which the South was still haunted by the Civil War - Sherman's campaign in particular - but I never intended for it to be an historical documentary ... I thought I would probably narrate it with first-person voice-over, as I had done in Backyard, but I wasn't enthusiastic about stepping in front of the camera to perform monologues. I was more comfortable behind the camera. But as I finished my first month of shooting in North Carolina and realized that this film was going to be more directly autobiographical than I had anticipated, I began filming monologues. I thought it would be best at least to get them on film. I could decide whether to use them later"
"I'd never presume to make a pronouncement concerning what I think relationships between men and women are all about. I think it's abundantly clear, from Sherman's March, that I myself, haven't a clue--at least at that point in my life. I guess the one lesson I might have garnered from the experience of making Sherman's March was that true love, whatever that is, was unlikely to present itself as long as I was determined to track it down with a camera, and the audience knows this."
(Ross McElwee)
Trailer: http://rossmcelwee.com/shermansmarch.html
Interview: http://www.cargo-film.de/thema-reihe/us-indie/southern-stories-ross-mcelwee-im-gesprach/
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen